Thursday, June 23, 2011

Happy Solstice!

I've decided to create this blog post as a method of presenting insights, thoughts, and teachings on the Goddess, the Gods, and ancient and modern religions from my Temple and Lyceum of Isis of the Stars. Since my home is in foreclosure, my physical temple will have to be moved soon, thus having a blog space lets me remain in virtual existence while in transit.

I have been a priest of Isis since 1994, ordained in the Fellowship of Isis by Lady Lilit of the Lyceum of Isis of Philae. Although I began my studies of shamanism and paganism with the Celtic and Norse deities (my ancestral groups), my call to priesthood came clearly from Isis. My first thought was, "Oh, no, not the Egyptians! They're too weird." Oh, well, I've learned (or relearned) a lot since then. :-)

During my priesthood studies, I received additional calls from two more Egyptian Goddesses, Bast and Nuit. At my ordination, I dedicated my service to Isis (for healing), to Bast (for creativity), and to Nuit (for wisdom). The hard part was keeping it down to three Goddesses, as the Ordination Rite Lady Olivia Robertson created for the FOI required. By the time I completed my initiation and got ordained, I had also received strong calls from Brighid (Celtic), Odin (Norse), and Hera (Greek). I have continued to interact with and learn from the Gods and Goddesses of many different cultures, and my temple has altars to their many forms and perspectives.

I've also studied a number of modern religions; I'm what social psychologists term a "questor" when it comes to religion. From my studies, ancient and modern, I've found that most religions have many precepts in common, such as an orientation toward peace, community with our fellow beings, promoting tolerance and love, charity toward others, and a mindful attitude toward the world around us. The Great Teachers all give us the same message, whether it is Buddha, Christ, Mohammed, or others: Love one another as you would be loved.

I grew up during the Feminist Revolution of the 70s, and saw considerable need for re-imaging the Feminine Face of the Divine. I also saw a great need to counter the antagonistic behaviors promoted by followers of various patriarchal religions; the only True Way is that there is no one, true way. We are present in body in this lifetime to learn the lessons our soul has chosen for us, whatever those may be, and from whomever those may come, without closing ourselves into a box and turning out the lights! Instead of finding ways to see how we are all different, I have chosen to look at the ways that we are the same. And that is the attitude I encourage in those who study with me.

I say this as both a teacher and a student; I learn as much from everyone with whom I come in contact as they do from me. I make no claims to "knowing it all." I just "know it some." But I have studied widely, through many cultures, and thought deeply about what the Divine is, and what our relationship to the Divine may be. I hope you will enjoy these discussions!

No comments:

Post a Comment